Many kids can’t imagine their life without the Internet. They use it for entertainment, studying or communication with their peers. As for parents, giving a phone to watch a cartoon or play a game while they do shopping or run on errands it is today`s matter of the course. Parents not only buy the Internet-connected devices, but allow kids to surf the Net without their supervision.
The statistics on the kid`s Internet usage is the following:
- 96 % of kids by the age of 8 have watched the TV, 81 % played video games and 60 % used their smart devices for entertainment;
- Kids spend on average 6 hours a day on screens;
- Every day 8-12 years-old children visit at least 3 new websites;
- Most parents allow their kids to surf the net before they are 5 years old.
What Dangers Await Kids Online?
The majority of dangers that kids may encounter on the Internet are connected with the tools, created for communication and interaction with their peers. Here is the list of reasons why the kid`s Internet usage should be supervised:
It includes sharing and posting mean, hurtful and cruel comments or spreading rumors about the other person. Usually it takes place through text messages, blogs or social media platforms.
- Over 50 % of teens are bullied online;
- 81% of teens think that it is easier to bully somebody online, than in real life;
- Only 1 out 10 report this problem to their parents.
2. Inappropriate content
Most parents are sure that their kids will never do this or that, including visiting adult sites or sharing provocative content on the Net. But the reality is absolutely different:
- 50 % of kids visit sites their parents would not approve.
In order to impress a girlfriend or a boyfriend, teens share nude or semi-nudes photos, without thinking about the consequences it may lead to. At first sight it may seem funny and to some youngsters, but in fact sexting may lead to serious legal consequences both for kids and parents.
4. Online predators
The Internet is teemed with online predators, only waiting to lure naïve kids into their trap. Some of them pretend to be a teen, some don`t hide their identity and age.
- 77 % of online predators` targets are teens 14 years old and older. The other 23% are from 10 to 13 years old;
- Last year 1 in 33 kids received sexually aggressive importunity online from the online predator. They asked a child to meet in person, sent inappropriate photos or promised to send money or gifts.
How Can You Safe Web Browsing for Your Kids?
If you are looking for tools to protect your kids while they are surfing the Net you may add safe browser apps in Chrome, Safari and Mozilla. Follow the instruction how to do it:
In Google Chrome:
- Go to Settings and choose Manage Search Engines.
- At the bottom of new window, you will see an option to Add a New Search Engine.
- Once it is added, press Make default.
In Safari browser:
1) Open Settings and move on to Restrictions.
2) Disable Safari and Add a New Search Engine for kids.
In Mozilla Browser:
1) Open the Menu and choose Search.
2) Scroll down to Add new search engine.
3) At the top of the page click More and choose Kids;
4) Move back to Search page and Add new kid`s browser as the default browser.
Safe browser app for your kids
Every parent wants their kids to be safe while they are using modern technologies and surf the Net. Here is the list of safe browsers for kids you can use.
It is a free, kid-friendly browser. It protects kids from stumbling upon any inappropriate content while they are surfing the Net. Parents can add, block or delete the content from their kid`s browser. It has great variety of kid`s shows and YouTube videos for kids, but still some of them may be not appropriate for small kids.
- Sweet Search
This search engine provides teens with relevant and credible information. It has 35,000 sites, previously reviewed for accuracy and appropriateness for kids. Generally, Sweet Search doesn`t possess any danger to kids, but still some sites may have violent news not appropriate for eyes of young kids.
This browser is tailored to protect kids and provide safe search on the Net. While sexually explicit content is blocked, some graphic details like ads are placed on every page.
Limited to scholarly work, this browser has no ads and inappropriate content. It is user-friendly and easy in use. Entering the keywords, kids will be turned up to books, academic papers or other researches. Some publications are available online, while the others are available only in the library.
- Tweens Browser
This browser is safe and ads-free. All inappropriate, violent or adult content is filtered by browser default feature. This browser doesn`t shield kids from real world and they still have access to the world news like ABC and PBS.
Use Kidgy Child Protector App
While kid`s browsers give peace of mind to their parents, they don`t entirely restrict an access to the Internet. That’s why it is important to combine kid`s browsers with safe browser parental control, like Kidgy.
With Kidgy you will be able to:
- Manage your kid`s Internet activity, blocking adult sites and restricting usage for school or bed time;
- Read your kid`s text messages, accessing even deleted ones and checking the date and time stamps;
- View your kid`s call logs and monitor the contact list;
- Monitor all installed apps and block them remotely;
- View your kid`s real-time location and mark safe or dangerous areas on the detailed map remotely;
- Educate your kids by setting tasks and following their progress remotely.
The duty of every parent is to teach their kids about Internet safety and responsible behavior online. You may use safe browser apps to protect your kid, but as we already mentioned they can`t guarantee the overall safety. The best option is to use Kidgy child protector app to get all your kid`s online activities in your own hands.